It is hard for me not to be biased when I discuss this author. I met her at my first writing event (La Jolla Writer's Conference) in November 2007. She reviewed the first chapter of my novel--I had no idea of the writing process which was clearly evident.
Deborah, instead of telling me that my work was crap, wrote a list of about fifty books and told me that if I want to write I must read. One-third of the books on the list were on the writing craft, while the other portion of the list included contemporary and classic MG and YA novels.
I read all the books she suggested (and haven't stopped reading these genres), than re-submitted my novel to her for a editing critique. "Better," she said, but now you need to join SCBWI and find a good critique group. Once again, I followed her direction and have learned (and continue to learn) so many important things about the writing craft. I will always be grateful for the direction she gave me.
She currently runs the website Dear-Editor.com to give advise to aspiring writers. I attended her breakout session at the 2010 SCBWI conference and she gave 10 tips for self-editing were fabulous which I will share in another blog entry.
Now, back to Honk If You Hate Me. Published by Delacorte Press and copyright 2007, I read this Y.A. book before I started on my reading frenzy. When I re-read it recently, I am able to see how the author practices everything she preaches in regards to style, setting, character, plot, and voice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment