I had the honor of hearing this author teach a break-out session the 2009 SCBWI Conference. She spoke on how she researches for her historical novels and she took the time to sign my copy of The Midwife's Apprentice, which won the Newbery in 1996.
I had previously read The Midwife's Apprentice and listened to the excellent unabridged audio production of the same book with my daughter--she was in forth grade. As both a reader and listener the author transported me easily to Medieval England where I was engrossed in the language and superstitions of the time period. She is a brilliant writer and I can see how important her research was to the believability of this novel.
I purchased the novel The Ballad of Lucy Whipple before I started my serious reading/study of children's literature and I purchased it only because the m/c was named Lucy--my daughter is Lucy and I purchase anything with her name in it.
It sat on the bookshelf for three years until after I met the author. It was interesting how she captured the essence of a whinny teenager There were times when--maybe because I am an adult and mother--I wanted to smack the m/c Lucy and tell her to grow-up and stop feeling sorry for herself.
Isn't that what makes a good book? How realistic an author can make the characters? What child today wouldn't act the same way, if not worse, if put in the same circumstances as Lucy Whipple. I dare say all of them would.
Karen Cushman is a brilliant author and her books should be a must read for not only children, but for anyone attempting to write for children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment