Friday, August 6, 2010

IMPULSE by Ellen Hopkins

I purchased this book after hearing the author, Ellen Hopkins, speak at the SCBWI Tri-Regions 2008 Temecula Retreat. I also had the honor of having Ellen at my critique table when the conference participates shared their stories. Ellen suggested I write my novel Crazy Like Mom in first person, present tense to make it more immediate. She was right.

In Ellen's book, like my m/c, the characters in Impulse are impacted by mental illness in one way or another. Copyright 2007 published by Margaret K. McElderry Books, this Y.A. novel is written in verse with three distinct teen pov: Conner, Vanessa, and Troy.

The lives of these characters are tragic and I cried for each one of them. How their lives intertwine inside the hospital is compelling. I wanted to embrace each one of them and tell them everything will be okay, but for other teens with similar lives it's their reality.

For these reasons, this book remains one of my favorite Y.A. books.

No comments:

Post a Comment