Richard Peck gave me the most wonderful compliment during a break-out session he taught at the 2009 SCBWI Summer Conference. He had given an assignment to write a paragraph (three sentences) after he provided the first sentence for the first page of a book. His talk had been about setting the stage on your first page. His sentence went something like this: It was always there and I would see it every time I would visit... . After giving the class five minutes to scribble something down, he began to call on some incredible published writers (i.e. Linda Sue Park and Jay Asher) to share what they wrote.
I timidly raised my hand and shared my three sentences. On the way back to my seat, Richard Park actually said out loud and in front of all of these really great writers, "Someone should tell that gal she should be a writer." I almost wet my pants. Sometimes it is little things like this that can give a writer the inspiration stick to it despite any disappointment.
I read A Long way from Chicago before I attended the conference and what I enjoyed most was the way he adds humor into the everyday life and quirky personalities of his characters. This book won the 1999 Newbery Honor and I'm so honored to have him sign the copy of his award winning novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment